The Taraba State Taskforce on Anti-Illegal Mining on Monday returned more than 100 heavy-duty machines seized from illegal mining sites to their owners at Mayo Kam, in Bali Local Government Council of the state.
The equipment, which had been evacuated from various mining sites and impounded at Mayo Kam, was released after the owners met conditions set by the taskforce, including providing valid guarantors.
The development, as gathered by DAILY POST, marks a shift in the taskforce’s enforcement approach from outright confiscation of mining equipment to a structured system aimed at promoting accountability and compliance with mining regulations.
A source within the taskforce said the measure was not intended to cripple legitimate businesses but to ensure that mining operators comply with the law.
“This is not about crippling businesses but about ensuring that operators adhere to legal frameworks,” the source said.
The taskforce, led by Emmanuel Lyon, warned that the return of the machines was subject to strict compliance with regulatory requirements, stressing that operators would be expected to conduct their activities within the ambit of the law.
Following the conclusion of the exercise, the miners reportedly departed Mayo Kam for their respective states of origin.
The development followed weeks of enforcement operations in the area aimed at curbing illegal mining activities and restoring order to mining operations.
The taskforce reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining enforcement operations while promoting a lawful, responsible and regulated mining environment across Taraba State.
Discover more from NAIRAVOICE.COM.NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

