
‘Happened to the West Indies around 1992’: Brian Lara sends warning to Australia after Bangladesh’s historic win in Darwin originally appeared on Cricket News.
Add Cricket News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Brian Lara has warned Australia against multiple senior players retiring at the same time.
- He pointed to the West Indies‘ decline in the early 1990s as a cautionary tale.
- The warning follows Australia’s nine-wicket defeat to Bangladesh in Darwin.
Brian Lara sends warning to Australia after Bangladesh’s historic win in Darwin
Australia’s humbling nine-wicket defeat to Bangladesh in Darwin has prompted uncomfortable questions about the depth behind their ageing champions, and few are better placed to answer them than Brian Lara.
The West Indies great watched his own team’s dynasty crumble in real time, and he sees warning signs in the Australian setup.
The loss at Marrara was Bangladesh’s first Test win on Australian soil and only their second against Australia in any conditions.
It came against a full-strength side featuring Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, and Nathan Lyon, a bowling unit whose collective age has become a talking point in itself.
With Usman Khawaja having already retired and several senior figures approaching the end of their careers, Lara has urged Australia to manage that transition carefully rather than allowing it to happen all at once.
MORE: Babar Azam ruled out of England vs Pakistan 1st Test at Headingley
Why Brian Lara has warned Australia over simultaneous retirements
Speaking to CODE Sports, Lara made clear that the danger lies not in players retiring but in several doing so together. He advocated a phased approach to renewal. “A staggered approach towards retirements is much better,” Lara said.
The great Brian Lara has warned Australia about multiple players retiring at the same time.
“A staggered approach towards retirements is much better,” he told CODE Sports.
“When I see the Australian reserves I see a lot of batsmen averaging in the 30s and it is going to be very… pic.twitter.com/HlK1f6aeu1
Enjoying this article? Support our work with a small crypto donation.— CricBlog ✍ (@cric_blog) August 19, 2026
His concern is grounded in what he sees when he looks past Australia’s first-choice XI. “When I see the Australian reserves, I see a lot of batsmen averaging in the 30s, and it is going to be very difficult if four or five of the team go in together,” he added.
Lara then drew on the experience that shaped his own career, pointing to the sudden collapse of West Indian dominance. “That happened to the West Indies around 1992 when players like Gordon Greenidge, Viv Richards, Malcolm Marshall, and Jeff Dujon left in a short period of time,” he said.
Lara saw firsthand what a depleted roster looks like when all these names left. For a long while, he stood as the only name saving the Windies from a batting collapse. Once he was dismissed, bowlers made short work of the supporting cast of names like Carl Hooper, Richie Richardson, and Jimmy Adams, as the Aussies themselves did in 1995.
MORE: ‘Awful umpiring’: Cricket World reacts to Dhruv Jurel catch controversy in IND vs SL Test
Why the West Indies parallel should worry Australia
Lara’s example carries genuine weight because he lived through the consequences. Richards, Greenidge and Dujon all exited after the 1991 tour of England, with Marshall’s international career ending in the same window, and Lara became the hub around which a hastily reconstituted batting order had to be built at the age of just 22.
The West Indies never recovered. A side that had been unofficial world champions through the late 1970s and 1980s began a slide that has continued for three decades, and Lara himself has acknowledged his entire career was played out during that decline.
The parallel with Australia is not exact, given the resources and structures available to Cricket Australia, but the underlying point stands. If Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon, and Steve Smith depart within a short window, a batting reserve averaging in the 30s will be asked to absorb a loss no system can easily replace.
For all the latest cricket news, opinion, and commentary and to share your voice, head to our Facebook, Instagram, and X (Twitter) pages
Discover more from NAIRAVOICE.COM.NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

