Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has defended Tehran’s memorandum of understanding with the United States, describing it as the most viable route out of the country’s prolonged “neither war nor peace” situation and mounting economic difficulties.
In remarks published Sunday by Iran’s state-run IRNA, Pezeshkian said members of the Supreme National Security Council considered the memorandum the best agreement achievable while protecting Iran’s dignity, national interests and strategic priorities.
“There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation,” Pezeshkian said, adding that Iran’s policies remain guided by the country’s Supreme Leader.
The memorandum, signed by US President Donald Trump in June, set a 60-day framework for ending the conflict with Iran and reaching an agreement over its nuclear programme. The deadline expired last week, however, with negotiations still deadlocked.
A major sticking point remains the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route whose continued disruption has intensified pressure on international energy markets.
Pezeshkian maintained that Tehran would not yield to its adversaries but argued that reducing geopolitical risks was essential to reviving Iran’s economy. He said prolonged uncertainty was discouraging both domestic and foreign investment.
“Capital and money are extremely sensitive to risk,” he said. “We have to remove this risk from the country.”
Iran’s economy is already under severe pressure from international sanctions, while a naval blockade has further restricted its ability to export crude oil, its most important source of revenue.
The Iranian president’s comments underline the growing tension between Tehran’s strategic confrontation with Washington and the economic pressures pushing the government toward a diplomatic solution.
Discover more from NAIRAVOICE.COM.NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

