⚡ Breaking
Osun Election: Your federal might failed –…  ·  Belgium talent Moreira completes €50m move to…  ·  Mourinho backs Guler to develop like Modric…  ·  Real Madrid remain the world’s most valuable…  ·  The player Ohio State can’t afford to…  ·  2 linebackers on Packers' roster bubble could…
Follow: Facebook Instagram Telegram WhatsApp
Advertisement
Home News Ndume urges military to intensify efforts to rescue…

Ndume urges military to intensify efforts to rescue abducted Borno children

· · 2 min read

Senator representing Borno South, Mohammed Ndume, has urged the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue schoolchildren and other residents abducted from communities in the southern part of the state.

Advertisement

Ndume made the call on Wednesday during a visit to the headquarters of the Theatre Command, North-East Joint Task Force Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri.

According to a post on the senator’s official Facebook page on Thursday, the appeal covers pupils abducted from Mussa and Lassa in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, passengers kidnapped along the Buratai axis and victims still in captivity from Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area.

Ndume said some of the victims had spent more than 100 days in captivity, describing the prolonged separation from their families as a source of concern for their relatives and communities.

Advertisement

“Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe,” he said.

“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort.”

The senator commended the military for its operations against insurgency and the coordination among security agencies, but said he had a responsibility to continue raising the concerns of his constituents.

“Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” he said.

Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abubakar Abdulsalam, said the concerns raised by the senator had been noted and assured him of the commitment of the military and other security agencies to ongoing operations.

The commander said the operations were aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and facilitating the safe return of displaced residents.

Advertisement
Nairavoice
Contributor at NairaVoice.com.ng