⚡ Breaking
NFL news, live updates: Fernando Mendoza back…  ·  Giants-Dolphins joint practice: Live updates, discussion  ·  EPL: Alonso gives team news ahead of…  ·  Brazil's famed Estádio do Maracanã to host…  ·  Police warn Katsina politicians against sponsoring political…  ·  Dennis Allen sounds off on Bears CB…
Follow: Facebook Instagram Telegram WhatsApp
Advertisement
Home News Truck crushes man to death on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Truck crushes man to death on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

· · 1 min read

A yet-to-be-identified man has been killed in a suspected hit-and-run crash along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, near the OPIC corridor in Ogun State.

Advertisement

The incident occurred shortly before 1 pm on Wednesday when the victim, said to be a young adult, was reportedly attempting to cross the expressway from the Lagos-bound carriageway towards the roadside around the OPIC area.

Witnesses said a speeding truck struck the man and ran over him before the driver allegedly fled the scene.

The impact left the victim with fatal injuries, with parts of his body reportedly scattered across the carriageway, causing motorists to slow down and manoeuvre around the scene.

Advertisement

An eyewitness, identified as Nojeem, said the man was crossing the highway when the truck hit him.

Nojeem lamented the frequency of fatal incidents along the busy route and called for the construction of a pedestrian bridge to reduce the risk faced by people attempting to cross the expressway.

When the scene was visited shortly after 2 pm, the victim’s remains were still on the road.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, said TRACE officials, alongside members of the Amotekun Corps, were deployed to control traffic following the crash.

Akinbiyi described the incident as a hit-and-run case at the OPIC bus stop on the Lagos-bound side of the expressway.

He said the crash had affected traffic movement, while efforts were underway to clear the remains from the carriageway and roadside.

In a later update issued around 6pm, Akinbiyi confirmed that the body had been removed from the road by officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and taken to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.

He added that the evacuation had been completed and normal vehicular movement had been restored along the affected section of the expressway.

Advertisement
Nairavoice
Contributor at NairaVoice.com.ng