⚡ Breaking
Chinese robot beats Usain Bolt's 100-meter world…  ·  Newcastle 2-2 Liverpool: Szoboszlai penalty sees Liverpool…  ·  Devdutt Padikkal, Shubman Gill and the trailer…  ·  ‘Most important thing is that Man City…  ·  Trump arrives at high-speed IndyCar race through…  ·  Chargers place Tyler Biadasz on season-ending injured…
Follow: Facebook Instagram Telegram WhatsApp
Advertisement
Home News Osun Govt warns against fresh post-election violence

Osun Govt warns against fresh post-election violence

· · 2 min read

The Osun State Government has warned individuals and groups against actions capable of disrupting public peace, calling for reconciliation and peace-building following the state’s recent governorship election.

Advertisement

The government made the call in a statement issued on Sunday by the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Oluomo Kolapo Alimi.

According to Alimi, the government acknowledged the casualties recorded during pre-election tensions and violence.

“We urge residents to support efforts aimed at healing and preventing a return to conflict,” the statement added.

Advertisement

The statement said the immediate post-election disruptions reported in some parts of the state were concerning and called on residents to allow peaceful coexistence to return.

The government urged all sectors of society to embrace rule-based interactions and work towards restoring stability across the state.

It also expressed concern over reports of alleged plans by some stakeholders to trigger fresh crises in local government councils and motor parks across Osun.

“This plan, if true, should stop immediately in the interest of public peace.

“Osun needs peace for development, not violence in politics. We call on political actors and other stakeholders to avoid actions that could heighten tensions,” the statement said.

The government also declared that the gubernatorial poll had been concluded, saying, “The Osun election has been won and lost.”

It said President Bola Tinubu and Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke had engaged on a peaceful way forward, adding that any attempt to promote violence would amount to an affront on the Presidency and the Nigerian Constitution.

The government also called on security agencies to enforce the rule of law, including by ensuring the release of political detainees and ending perceived partisan policing involving local government and motor park management.

It added, “We call on all political actors to speak and act peacefully. We urge residents and stakeholders to ensure that Osun remained focused on healing and rebuilding rather than returning to the violence witnessed before the election.”

Advertisement
Nairavoice
Contributor at NairaVoice.com.ng