⚡ Breaking
Arsenal make approach for star after impressive…  ·  Chivu knows Inter are ‘the team to…  ·  ‘There’s no excuses at our end’ –…  ·  977!!! Cristiano Ronaldo continues his incredible run  ·  NASCAR purse for Truck Series race at…  ·  Sean McDonough says Ole Miss has the…
Follow: Facebook Instagram Telegram WhatsApp
Advertisement
Home Sports Eintracht Frankfurt goalkeeper carousel continues to spin

Eintracht Frankfurt goalkeeper carousel continues to spin

· · 3 min read

Eintracht Frankfurt’s goalkeeper carousel continues to spin hard. Remarkably, the situation bears more than a passing resemblance to events at almost exactly the same point last summer. SC Freiburg keeper Noah Atubolu has emerged as Eintracht’s preferred solution after the club decided to seek a new No. 1 following a disastrous 7-0 pre-season defeat against Brentford. Get German Football Newsreported last weekend that Frankfurt had entered the market for another starting keeper, thereby placing the futures of both Kauã Santos and Michael Zetterer into question.

Advertisement

Atubolu now appears receptive to remaining in the Bundesliga after previously looking destined for a move abroad. Kicker reported earlier this week that the 24-year-old could imagine joining Frankfurt, while Bild now claims that Eintracht has become his preferred destination. Freiburg reportedly value Atubolu at around €15m. One possible solution could see the keeper extend his current contract through 2028 before moving to Frankfurt on loan with a purchase option that could become an obligation under certain conditions.

The player side thus appears considerably easier to resolve than negotiations between the two clubs.

Michael Zetterer reports produce conflicting information

Advertisement

What happens with Zetterer may depend on what happens with Atubolu. The Athletic reports that Leeds United are working on a move for the 31-year-old and suggests that the Premier League club and Frankfurt are approaching a basic agreement. Leeds have already installed James Trafford as their new No. 1 and would reportedly recruit Zetterer as an experienced back-up. Zetterer’s agent Nico Pellatz has, however, firmly denied that his client is preparing to leave.

“We are very surprised by reports that Michael Zetterer is supposedly close to a transfer,” Pellatz told Sport Bild. “They do not correspond to the truth. Michael and his family feel very comfortable in Frankfurt. A transfer is currently not an option for him.”

That denial is also consistent with Kicker’s reporting from only two days earlier. The German footballing magazine wrote that Zetterer had no intention of leaving and that a potential move to Leeds was not an active subject. Those accustomed to the Bundesliga’s summer goalkeeper market may nevertheless be experiencing a strong sense of déjà vu.

Frankfurt ran almost the same goalkeeper carousel last August

One year ago, Zetterer was the keeper publicly insisting that he was going nowhere. The veteran entered Werder Bremen’s 2025 pre-season facing competition from highly-rated youngster Mio Backhaus. In July, Zetterer emphatically rejected suggestions that he was preparing to leave Bremen, declaring that then-head coach Horst Steffen had made it clear to him that he remained the No. 1.

The matter seemingly reached a definitive conclusion in early August. GGFNreported that Zetterer had officially beaten Backhaus in the competition for Bremen’s starting position. Three days later, everything changed.

Long-time Eintracht captain Kevin Trapp suddenly began considering an offer from Paris FC. Frankfurt had already identified Kauã Santos as their long-term goalkeeper, but the young Brazilian was still recovering from the serious knee injury that ended his 2024/25 campaign. Frankfurt therefore needed an experienced bridge solution. Trapp’s departure became official on August 19. Twenty-four hours later, Frankfurt officially unveiled Zetterer.

Kauã Santos plan never worked as intended

Zetterer was initially supposed to provide stability until Santos could take over permanently. That succession never developed smoothly. Upon Santos’ return from injury, Frankfurt attempted to reinstate the Brazilian, only for a series of shaky performances to force repeated changes. By November, then-head coach Dino Toppmöller had committed to Zetterer as his No. 1 through the winter break.

Santos subsequently received another opportunity, but Frankfurt’s goalkeeping question remained unresolved throughout the season. The Brentford debacle this summer appears to have convinced new head coach Adi Hütter and the sporting management that neither existing option should automatically begin 2026/27 as first choice. Atubolu could finally settle that issue.

Ironically, his arrival could also send Zetterer through precisely the exit door he unexpectedly walked through at Bremen twelve months ago. Last August, Trapp’s departure created an opening for Zetterer. This August, Atubolu’s potential arrival may create an opening elsewhere for Zetterer.

The names have changed.

The Frankfurt goalkeeper carousel has not.

<

p style=”font-weight:400″>GGFN | Peter Weis

Advertisement
Nairavoice
Contributor at NairaVoice.com.ng