Battle to stop Tinubu is battle of no retreat, no surrender – Melaye
Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Kogi State, has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s decision to serve as chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.
Melaye insisted that the campaign to prevent Tinubu’s re-election must continue with renewed determination despite his many strategies.
He spoke in a video posted on his official X account on Sunday, questioning the decision to have Tinubu serve as both the APC presidential candidate and chairman of his campaign council.
“This is the first time in the history of the universe and the entire world that a presidential candidate of a political party will double as the chairman of the presidential campaign council for his own election,” Melaye said.
He described the arrangement as “disgraceful”, alleging that it showed a lack of confidence within the ruling party.
“It shows they are jittery. It shows they are afraid,” he said.
Melaye also criticised the size and structure of the campaign council, describing it as “very, very, very bogus” and alleging that some committees and positions had been duplicated.
The ADC chieftain further questioned the reported appointment of Zacch Adedeji, chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS), formerly the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), to a fundraising position in Tinubu’s campaign council.
“The chairman of FIRS is the deputy director in charge of fundraising of presidential campaign of Tinubu,” Melaye alleged.
He argued that the appointment could create a conflict of interest because the NRS chairman is a public official responsible for revenue collection.
“Is there no conflict in this? As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday I’m going to court. We have to test that,” he said.
Melaye said he would challenge the matter in court, arguing that public officials are expected to comply with the provisions of the Public Service Rules.
“If that is not conflict of interest, I don’t know what else it would be,” he said.
He vowed to continue opposing Tinubu’s re-election bid, declaring that “the battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender.”
Melaye described the development as “a big shame” and “a disgrace” as political parties intensify preparations for the 2027 presidential election.
Discover more from NAIRAVOICE.COM.NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.